Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Setting Your Own Price for the Groceries You Buy

After a few months of cutting coupons, I 've decided I now set the price on what I will pay for my groceries. For me...I want to save %50 on most products. There are a few things to consider when you do your grocery shopping:

1) What products have coupons. You will usually see coupons for hygiene products (like t.p., toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc.,) cleaning products, Dairy, Frozen meals and vegetables. You usually have to wait for a sale on meats, I rarely see coupons for bread or milk +(If I do, it's usually a store promotion.)

2) Is it worth buying the product for the amount I get off. An example of this is the Kraft coupons. I went to check the price of the Kraft items to see if it was worth using the coupon. Oscar Mayer hot dogs were $1.50 a pack. I had to buy 2 packs to get $1.00 off. I usually buy a different brand of hot dogs. Buying two packs of my other hot dog brand was still cheaper then buying the Oscar Mayer hot dogs...so I passed up this deal.

3) Should I buy the item with the coupon or should I wait for a sale and use the coupon. There is a positive side to doing this. You will save more money by buying the product on sale with the coupon. The negative side of this is what if the product doesn't go on sale or the sale is not good enough. The hot dogs I talked about above were on sale...the sale was not good enough for me. This is were you set the price for the groceries you buy. Don't just buy items because you have coupons...Make sure you are saving money and you are buying produsts you will use.

4) Is this a good enough sale or do I have enough coupons to stock up on the product. Last week Albertsons had a store promotion on BBQ sauce. I knew I had coupons that would make the BBQ sauce free. I bought 17 BBQ sauces and paid nothing for them. This was an amazing deal. Not only will I have BBQ to use, some to store, but I will also have some to give away. I will give it to family or food banks. This is an awsome way to help others and not hurt your pocket book.

Aaron thinks it's funny when I go to the grocery store and get mad because I see something I want or need and don't have my coupons with me. I used to hate coupons. I thought they were a waste of time. I am saving so much money, buying more food, and stocking up on extras. Your family doesn't have to suffer when your saving money. Some might think that you can't have the same snacks and treats that you usually have when you using coupons...you can!!!

Remember, it's not hard to set your prices once you get the hang of things. It's well worth it.

No comments: